We've always used treat feeders to keep them busy, but they've taken on a new importance: physical exercise.
So here are our three favorites.
DISCLAIMER: I've received these feeders for free to review, but Life With Beagle received no payment for this post. All thoughts are our own.
We use treat feeders for a few reasons.
1. My dogs eat fast. They are fed in separate rooms, no one is going to take their food away, and they get plenty. But they gobble it up like they'll never be fed again. This can lead to bloat and indigestion, like any human. Even slow feeders aren't slow enough. So These treat toys do a better job at making them slow down.
2. It keeps them busy. If they can only get a few pieces of kibble out at a time, they will work and work until it's all gone. And that takes time and effort. And thought too, they have to think about the best way to get the treats out. So it keeps them mentally active.
3. But the new reason is exercise. When Lulu has to roll a treat ball around, she seems to forget her other leg is tender. So she walks on all four feet, and she doesn't favor the leg by kicking it out while she stands or turning out the knee. So she is rebuilding her muscle mass without even trying.
With this in mind, here are the pros and cons of each toy.
1. Wobble Ball by P.L.A.Y. P.L.A.Y. (stands for Pet Lifestyle and You) makes innovative toys and pet products. Their Wobble Ball comes in several colors and has a removable insert that acts like a maze.
|The Wobble Ball by P.L.A.Y. requires a little extra work because it doesn't roll, it wobbles.
CONS: At 18.95, the price point is a little high, also Lulu keeps losing the damn thing! I don't fault the toy for it, but it seems to easily fit in crevices that I can't get into.
2. PetSafe Busy Buddy Kibble Nibble. This egg-shaped treat toy has two openings that treats can come out of. It can hold an entire portion of food. PetSafe makes all kinds of neat treat toys, among other innovative products.
|The PetSafe Busy Buddy has two openings at either end.
CONS: The tread on the toy seems to get caught easily, so sometimes it's tough to close. It also may wear easily, as Lulu has been able to get the toy open in the middle.
|As you can see, Lulu can get the PetSafe Busy Buddy open.
|A good look at the maze inside the BUSTER DogMaze by KRUUSE.
CONS: Even though it's dishwasher safe, it's not always as easy to keep clean.
Find all of these treat feeders on Amazon or boutique pet shops!
COMMENT TIME! How do you balance treat time/meal time and exercise? Tell us below.