Thursday, October 29, 2015

4 Halloween goodies dogs should be scared of (but aren't!)

It's Halloween, which means there will likely be copious amounts of junk food coming into your home over the next few days (because even if you don't have kids I bet at least a third of you will raid the candy aisle during the Halloween clearance sales, amirite?)

But there are some goodies out there that can be a nightmare for you and your dog if he or she breaks into them.

So lets spread the word and remind our friends and family what NOT to leave out this week -- or all year long. This is with the help of PetMD.com.
4 Halloween treats dogs shouldn't have: chocolate, nuts, xylitol and raisins




Xylitol is used in sugarless gum and other treats. It's toxic to dogs.
This dog is not actually chewing gum, by the way.
1. Treats with xylitol.  This artificial sweetener is most famously used in sugarless gum, but some peanut butters now have it as well. Even small amounts of xylitol can be poisonous for dogs. So it's best to keep any of these treats out of their paws. What to do if your dog gets something with xylitol.


Other nuts can make dogs sick.

2. Most nuts. PetMd says walnuts, pecans and especially macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Those nuts that aren't toxic, however can cause other problems. They can cause digestive obstructions, or even gastroenteritis or pancreatitis. This all depends on the size of the dog, how healthy they are to begin with and how much they eat. So it's best to keep dogs away from nuts.

Raisins are often an alternative to trick-or-treat candy.
3. Raisins. Some people give raisins as an alternative to candy. That's great for kids. But raisins are an absolute no for dogs. Grapes too. It's not known why grapes and raisins are so toxic to dogs, but even a small amount can be bad. So no raisins! Find out what to do if you pet gets raisins.

The higher the cocoa content, the worse the chocolate is.

4. Chocolate. Last but not least. But would you believe it's not as bad as the previous three? I mean, it can be, don't get me wrong. But not all chocolate is as toxic. If your dog snags a couple fun size Three Musketeer bars, he or she will probably be ok vs. a whole bag of dark chocolate. Of course this all depends on other factors involving your dog though. So don't be feeding your dog chocolate!

Head to PetMD to check out the site's chocolate toxicity meter. This will give you a better understanding of how toxic different types of chocolate can be, and what to do if your dog eats any.

1 comment :

  1. Hopefully no dogs will consume these this Halloween, nor anytime, any place.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me feedbark!