So when I got the offer to try a dental chew normally only available through veterinarians, I said of course. Brushing Lulu's teeth is a pain! A treat is much easier.
CET VeggieDent Chews by Virbac Animal Health. We got them from Entirelypets.com.
The ingredients are simple and designed to be soluble: Corn starch, glycerin, soya proteins, rice flour, palatable agent, sorbitol, corn derivatives, water, potassium sorbate, chlorhexidine digluconate.
It reminds me of a really thick fruit leather in terms of texture.
Chewing it is supposed to help reduce plaque and loosen tartar. And dogs NEED to chew it, not gulp it down. Would Lulu do what she's supposed to?
- One a day can help keep teeth problems at bay, as the package says.
- Soluble, so it won't cause a digestive problem.
- Lulu likes it.
- A bag of 30 is only $10.99 on the Entirely Pets.com site, which is cheaper than Greenies.
- Very little all-natural here.
- Made in Vietnam.
- Chewing is extremely important in order to make this treat work for your dog's teeth. If your dog is not good at chewing, if they take treats down whole, you either need to break it up and give them small pieces, or don't give it to them at all. The package says not chewing these treats properly could actually be harmful to the dogs.
- Older dogs may not be able to chew these as well, depending on how good their teeth on. Lulu did not find these as easy to chew.